It’s official, we have less than 6 months left on our Working Holiday Visas in Australia!
Once again, I’m baffled at how quickly the time has gone by. I can still vividly recall the 40 hours of travel it took to get here and landing in Sydney… back in December 2017.
In 6 months, we have done everything I could have imagined and more:
- Sydney: Bondi Beach, Opera House and Harbour Bridge, NYE fireworks, bar crawls and markets with friends, Manly Beach, Palm Beach, our first Christmas abroad, crab racing, movie marathons
- Melbourne: Great Ocean Road with the lovely Emily, penguins at St. Kilda beach, drinking coffee, wandering through streets and museums filled with art
- Grampians: Hiking up ridiculously long trails in 40C heat, sunset overlooking the rainforest, swimming in waterfalls
- Newcastle: Epic house party with a friend we met in London, years ago — Thanks for having us, Mitch!
- Port Macquarie: Painted Rocks, the Koala Hospital, a private beach to ourselves
- Byron Bay: That beautiful Lighthouse walk, dolphin kayaking, a day trip to Nimbin, winning a pub quiz, $5 meals, huge spiders in our room and new friends
- Surfers Paradise: Sin City, bar crawl and a midnight swim on the beach, night markets, $3 steak at Waxy’s Irish Bar
- Brisbane: Fireworks for my birthday (ok, they were really for Australia Day), the lagoon, drinks on rooftop bars and secret gardens
- Noosa: Catching up with the beautiful Larissa and going on a hike to the Fairy Pools and Hells Gate
- Rainbow Beach (FRASER ISLAND): Camping under the stars, the super-blue blood moon on the beach, Lake McKenzie, Lake Wabi, Eli Creek, snakes in the car, sand surfing, campfires
- 1770: Riding a motorbike by myself and spotting wild kangaroos
- Airlie Beach (WHITSUNDAYS): Living on a boat for 2 days and 2 nights with terrible seasickness, but worth it to see Whitehaven Beach and snorkel in a tropical paradise
- Magnetic Island: Boozy Bingo, Killer Pool and relaxing by the pool at Base
- Mission Beach: SKYDIVING and landing on the beach, sleeping in a hostel surrounded by rainforest and wild animals
- Cairns: Now our home! Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, crocodile cruise along the Daintree River, cassowaries in Cape Tribulation, swimming in gorgeous lakes and waterfalls at the Atherton Tablelands, finding the best group of friends, working in a hostel, finding jobs, signing a blogging contract, catching up with friends from home
What can I say? Life is good. We LOVED the east coast, but there’s still plenty more to see. Working for accommodation, our blogging contract and full-time jobs have kept us busy in Cairns, but we are both happy, healthy and saving for the next leg of our adventure! West Coast, The Red Centre, Tasmania, a campervan… who knows?!
As hard as it was to leave both our homes, this was the best decision we could have made. It’s been such a wonderful experience, and I’m so grateful that we got to do this together, and will continue to do this together.
Cheers to the past 6 months, and here’s to the next 6!